Green Vitamin C Smoothie
A tasty drink to help build up your immune system during those cold winter months with a hit of natural Vitamin C.
- 2 oranges
- 1 apple
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 kale leaf
- 2/3 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Peel the oranges and roughly chop the oranges and apple, discarding the apple core.
- Place the fruit into a blender along with the water and blend until smooth.
- Roughly chop the kale and broccoli. Add the spinach, kale and broccoli into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the ice and continue blending until very smooth. Serves 2.
- This is the perfect smoothie to have during winter when the immune system is generally having to work harder to ward off the flu. Build it up with a hit of raw vitamin C!
This recipe is featured in our Books.
A word from The Raw Food Girl
It’s funny, when people are asked what foods contain Vitamin C the answer is always oranges. I guess many years of the drug companies marketing the orange flavoured Vitamin C lollies have had a lasting impact.
In fact, when comparing 1 cup of kale to 1 fresh orange, there’s more actually vitamin C in the kale.
Capsicum, broccoli and strawberries also contain more Vitamin C than oranges too. I wonder if Vitamin C pills would sell nearly so well if they were broccoli flavoured…
Anyway, it’s good to eat a variety of different Vitamin C rich foods to boost your daily intake. This essential nutrient helps build the immune system, ward off colds and also helps the body to absorb iron.
Get it into you!