A creamy Eggnoggy drink bursting with flavour... Minus the eggs and dairy!
- 2 cups cashew milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Place all ingredients except for the ice into a blender and blend on high until very smooth.
- Add ice and continue blending until very smooth and creamy. Makes 2 small cups or 1 milkshake sized glass.
- Instead of pre-making cashew milk, you can soak 1/2 cup of cashews and throw them in with 2 cups of water. Saves time and prep!
This recipe is featured in our Books.
A word from The Raw Food Girl
Just thinking about Eggnog takes me back to my childhood. Dad loved Paul’s Eggnog, and would often buy it not just at Christmas time, but on route family camping trips. Maybe he thought my sister and I would be better behaved stuck in the back of the car for hours if we had a yummy drink to bribe us with.
I’m pretty sure it worked, because I love Eggnog as much as dad does. Maybe more.
Unfortunately, the main ingredients for traditional Eggnog include milk, sugar, cream, whole eggs, egg yolks and whey (1).
which on the whole are foods I rarely eat.
So this is my vegan take on it. The soft nuts give it a rich, creamy texture and the mild flavour of cinnamon and nutmeg make the recipe sing. I make a point to eat ceylon cinnamon daily, because apart from being loaded with antioxidants, it’s also also a natural anti-inflammatory and helps regulate blood sugar levels (2)
While this drink is totally delish, I’m not going to pretend that it tastes exactly like the original because it doesn’t. You would be hard pressed finding a vegan equivalent to real Eggnog, but that doesn’t mean I won’t stop trying to improve on this one! Enjoy :-)